Saturday, January 12, 2008

Moved in to Sam's House

KC and I have moved into Sam's House aka Koplia House. The orphanage goes by a Nepali name here for many reasons which all make a lot of sense. Koplia is a bud of a flowering plant, very apropriate.

Our room is the size of a small dorm room. We have pushed the two twin beds together and share a small bureau to hang and store clothes. The desk is used to store our computer (cannot get the wireless to work), cameras and other belongings. It is more than adequate. We are only in the room to sleep. If we are awake, I can guarantee one of twenty children is awake. We share a bathroom with the five house mothers or didis.

Our days are filled to the brim. We wake at 6:00 am and assist with breakfast and watch the kids brush their teeth, wash their faces and get ready for the day. After morning tea and biscuits at 7:00, the children put on their school clothes and study until lunch. KC and I help with their homework. All the children go to an English school, so we can assist. Lunch is served about 9:30. Lunch is a big meal for the children. It is always daal bhat (rice and lentils) with a curry of sorts. The curries range from the traditional potato and cauliflower to include sweat peas, green beans, tomato and other local vegetables. I thought I had friends in college that could eat a lot (LaBamba's and Burger King), you should see the kids and the amount of rice they eat. It would blow you mind. Then its off to the bus and school.

To start the afternoon, we clean up after the kids and have lunch with the didis. KC and I have language and culture class this week and next. So from 11:00 to 1:00 we go to a local school. After school, we help watch the children, do laundry, help prepare meals and hang with the didis. Before you know it, the kids are coming home. We pick them up from the school bus and walk them home. They rush to change out of their outfits, grab snack, hit the books then the playground. Where ever they are, we are. During TV time last night, I put in a Blue Planet (BBC documentary about the ocean) video. It put all the children to sleep, it has the same effect on children across the globe.

Dinner is served around 7:30 and it is similar to lunch with daal bhat and a different curry. The children get lots of protein and vitamins. Its a very healthy, tasty meal. By this time, I am ready to hit the sack but KC and I will have dinner with the didis, then call it a night. We are asleep before some of the kids. I wonder if I will gain stamina over the course of the next four months. . . I'm not sure.

Sorry for the lack of pictures. Its a bigger challenge with the technology than I had anticipated. I am searching local cyber cafes to find the best. I promise pictures soon.

Quick story: we had a picnic today with funds the kids raised by caroling during tihar. The children's favorite part was dessert like all children. . .and it was ice cream!! The youngest of the clan put down three small cones then proudly showed me his belly as a poked for fun. He is also the newest addition to the house. He will greet you with a salute then namaste. The colonel also entertained with classic baby dance moves. There were no tears this afternoon only a full belly of ice cream.

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

Hey buddy...looks like lots of work, but that was expected. Must be really rewarding. How's your stomach handling the change of diet?

I still cannot express how much I am impressed with what you and KC are doing.

God bless and be safe.

Gordon and KC said...

We are definitely staying busy. My stomach has faired better than KC's but nothing major. The diet is very different, not only the amount of rice and lentils but the spices.

The food has been delicious, especially the chai.